Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Cook County MN Health Care Proposal

As many of my local readers know
I've been looking to get more politically involved up here in the great north and I now have a health care platform.
Removing snow from the roof affords a person lots of thinking time. I have spent this time working on a health care policy that I believe could help the full time winter resident's here in cook county.
I call my concept:

"Winter Vikie's"

1 Vicodin for every 1 inch of snow fall
1 Vicodin for every degree below -10
1 Vicodin for every degree of wind chill below -10
1 Vicodin per every 1/4 inch of ice on our roofs
10 Vicodin per every sunless day
1 large bottle of Baileys per week (coffee additive)

(Initial concept, numbers can be easily adjusted and suggestions welcome)

Now this would only be for legal age full time residents during the winter season,
which up here runs from September 15 through June 15.
Thinking outside the box like this just might help make a happier core population in the county year around, I know it would work for me!

Today I woke to 10" of new snow and it continued all day for a grand total of 14".

Yesterday I posted a photo of my propane tank.

Here's the same tank at the same angle taken about an hour ago, note it's still snowing.

One other thing we have encountered in this heavy snow season is the need to groom the packed snow on our unplowed road. A few years back I had built a single bladed drag that worked well at the start of the year but is not ideal for deep snow.
What we found is that the single blade drag is too short and will not fill in the dips,
it just follows the contour of the road without releasing the snow it carries.

A new design was needed.

So with a large load of steel and Dean's warm shop we now have this,
an 8 foot wide by 10 foot long 450 pound super drag that should be complete tomorrow. We are just finishing up the road wheel deployment system and tow bar design.
The drag will make much more sense when I photograph it on the snow, which I will do in a future post.
It is designed to carry more snow and zig zag it back and forth for the full 10 feet of it's length, depositing it nicely in all the dips and holes and finishing it smooth by running the excess snow under the packing plates in the rear.

In my last blog, I promised cabin photos for the readers that live on this road in the summer.

Jim's roof had snow removed over Christmas









You can click on any photo to enlarge it,
remember they were all taken last Wednesday and now there's at least 16" of new snow on top of what you see here.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see our roof is still intact and none of the large pines have dropped on it. This will be a good test of our new roof truss design. Thanks for the picture. Stay warm!
    Bill and Jackie

    ReplyDelete